How do I apply?

The process 

Not everyone qualifies for Individualised Funding – there are certain eligibility criteria. You need to be assessed by your Needs Assessment and Service Co-ordination (NASC) Agency.

Currently IF is available to a person:

  • Of any age with a lifelong disability – physical, sensory or intellectual – who has accessed disability services before the age of 65, and for whom the impairment is expected to last at least six months. Their independent function should be affected enough that they need ongoing support
  • Who has been allocated Home and Community Support Services
  • Who has had a needs assessment that says IF is a suitable option for them
  • Whose support needs that come under Ministry of Health, Disability Services
  • Whose support needs are expected to be reasonably stable
  • Who has been assessed by a NASC as wanting to manage services through Individualised Funding payment
  • Who is willing to comply with the requirements of Individualised Funding.

A needs assessment will be completed by your local NASC, but if you are already receiving services arranged by your NASC, call your Service Facilitator at the NASC agency and tell them you are interested in Individualised Funding.

Your Service Facilitator will help determine if you meet the eligibility criteria and, if you do, will then refer you to Manawanui.

At Manawanui you will always find someone you can to talk to about your Individualised Funding requirements – contact us today.

What is not included in IF?

IF is currently limited to services available through the Home and Community Support Services (HCSS). These services include personal care, household management and flexible supports, as defined by the Home and Community Support Service Specification.

To help clarify, the following Disability Support Services funded by the Ministry are NOT currently accessed through IF:

  • Day and/or Vocational Services
  • Rehabilitation Services
  • Supported Living
  • Respite provided in MoH contracted facilities
  • Carer Support
  • Residential Support
  • Information and Advisory Services
  • Equipment or Housing Modifications
  • Child Development Services
  • Behaviour Support Services

However, some of these services may still be allocated by the NASC as part of a support package. For example, if someone is accessing respite care in Ministry contracted facilities, then this would contribute to the support package, but the payment to the provider of the respite remains with the Ministry of Health through its contract with that provider.

Similarly, a support package could be made up of HCSS supported through IF, as well as some Behaviour Support Service and Supported Living purchased separately. In this example only the HCSS would be funded directly through IF. The Ministry of Health continues to be responsible for the direct payment and contracting with the Behaviour Support and Supported Living providers.